Tonight I found the source of the water damage. I also tried to fix it, but since I did not succeed in that little adventure we're not going to dwell on it any longer than necessary. The post-mortem photos are posted, but, I warn you, they are not for the weak-gutted, anyone with a history of heart problems, anyone over the age of 65, and certainly, certainly, not for children. Please, put the kids to bed before clicking further.
Using a hole saw on my sweet DeWalt 3/8" VSR keyless chuck drill, I cut two 2" holes in the cabinet kick plate to illuminate and assess the damage. In sum, yeah, it was really bad. Then, using the honkin' Bosch RS-15 12-ampere reciprocating saw, and a series of super-skilled pocket cuts, I cut away an area of the back of the cabinet and drywall to look at the plumbing. I found that an iron elbow where the sink drain meets the house plumbing corroded completely through. As a result, it looks like virtually all of the water from the sink was running out into the wall, onto the floor, and on into the crawl space. The full extent of the damage is not yet clear, but I'm afraid we're going to find damage not just to the subfloor, but also to the wall sill and framing.
In short, zoinks.
No comments:
Post a Comment