I've been thinking more about the word "super" and who in my life I deem "super." My mom is pretty super! I still call her "super mom" and feel she has secret "super powers" that only the rest of us could dream of having. I swear I don't know when the woman sleeps. Growing up, our house was ALWAYS clean...despite having 6 banshees running through it on a daily basis. We didn't leave the house until all of our rooms were clean and beds made, and she has somehow figured out how to get us (her children) to do that before we left for school every morning. We always had lunches everyone else wanted and the best snacks (the kind your friends come over for because their moms won't buy them!) She washed like 10 loads of clothes a day, and unlike in my house they would all be folded and put away at the end of the day. Our yard was (and still is) immaculate. The woman loves to mow and has the most incredible green thumb! At the end of every month, all the pictures on the walls and knick-knacks on the shelves would come down and she'd change the entire house for the next holiday/season. It was incredible, as if elves lived there or something! And even though she already had 6 kids in the house, my mom would always let us each have a friend over. On a normal Friday or Saturday night, there were anywhere from 8 to 12 kids (including ourselves) spending the night in our house. Despite all of this, my mom still worked in my dad's veterinarian clinic every afternoon and on Saturday mornings. She knew every client and even there pet's names. She volunteered at our school, and drove us all to practices (piano, track, cheerleading, gymnastics, etc.) In her free time, she'd even help her friends and our friends moms redecorate a room, paint, or sew. Now that my dad has passed away, she's raising two of her children alone and keeping her grandkids on a regular basis. She's also become "mom" to several other precious teens who needed someone. All in all, this woman...my mom...is "super"ior in my book!!!
4 comments:
What an amazing post! So incredibly special is the bond between mother and daughter. Truly touching...
I just read your blog on me. Wow I sure should have read it last night after losing my homework blog that I so proud of myself for doing it right. Maybe one day I can grow up and be an amazing writer just like you. Thanks for the encouragement. I love you!!!
Tally, every word you said about your Mom is true. I don't think any of us could figure out how she did it/does it all!! She embodies the Proverb 31 woman of virtue...and yes, her children did rise up and call her blessed!
What a blessing her children reaped from her labor (and when I wrote "labor"...my heavens does she make me feel like a wimp on that one). For those who don't know, Jackie birthed all but one of her babies at home.
Okay, I need to put my feet up now after just thinking about it all!
Love to you all...
Becky Tucker
Your mother (like my mother)is absolutely amazing. I have NO idea how your mom could do all she could do- Some people just have extraordinary abilities. Your home was a warm, beautiful refuge to all of us that knew your family. I've said for years that I want to "be a Jackie". Thank you Mrs. Reynolds!
Post a Comment