Monday, March 24, 2008

Bitten off a little more than I can chew...






Recently, several of our friends and Aaron's coworkers have had babies. In our church, we are always given the opportunity to provide a new mom and her family dinner. These meals go on for weeks, and it's wonderful! I've been preparing meals for families for years, mainly because I like to cook and also because I know how helpful it is having come from such a large family. (As the oldest child of six, I did most of the cooking for many years.) I've always thought it was easier to prepare meals for several families on one day rather than one meal for one family at a time. Now that I have James, I'm starting to second guess my theory. I attempted to cook for three families, as well as for Aaron and myself last Tuesday and then deliver those meals to Aaron's office and one other house by 5pm. I haven't tried this since I had James. The last time I did it for this many people was when I was 7 1/2 months pregnant, and I think I might have said then that that would be the last time I attempted to cook for so many on one day again. Fortunately, despite many set-backs, I managed to get everything prepared and delivered by 5:30pm. AND, it all turned out tasting delicious. I was really worried about the dessert. It was something called "Blueberry Delight" that a friend brought Aaron and me when we had James, and I hadn't made it prior to this attempt. It ended up taking me 4 hours to make it and despite running out of sugar I managed to produce 5 desserts, allowing me to take one to Community Group the following night. (I doubled the recipe and even had to use some small packets I had for coffee drinkers when they visited.) I do believe I have learned my lesson and will not attempt to cook for this many families on one day again. It was nice to know that I was able to help some new moms as people had so generously helped us when we had James, but my poor child's face and the state of my kitchen at the end of the day, proves it's not worth neglecting him that much in a day again! I'm beginning to learn my limitations as a new mom! I am not and will never be my mom--Superwoman with the energy of Speedy Gonzalez or the Tazmanian Devil--and I'm okay with that!! :)

No comments: